Is your custom content management system (CMS) bringing you down? Jumping through too many hoops? Too much time spent not getting your content online? These are signs of a common problem referred to as Custom CMS Fatigue. It’s been known to cause nausea, headaches and shattered computer screens. Luckily, there’s a cure.
Drupal is an Open Source CMS. Drupal is not an antidepressant. However, using Drupal can make you very happy. If you are experiencing headaches from your proprietary CMS then it might be time for you to switch over to an Open Source solution. A Drupal CMS is everything you hoped your current custom solution had turned out to be. Drupal is like the more successful and better looking sibling of a custom and proprietary CMS.
A common scenario that may lead to Custom CMS Fatigue may follow this dialogue. The healthcare industry has evolved but your custom solution has not. Now you need your website to do “X” instead of “Y,” but the original developer never gave you that ability, and the new developer you are about to hire will not have access to the original proprietary code so any change or “fix” will just be a Band-Aid on a broken bone. After enough of these “fixes” your website will begin to look like Frankenstein, or in other terms a patch-work of quick and shallow fixes that will end up hurting your organization in the long run.
But there is hope!
Here is how:
- Save Money: Using Drupal can drastically reduce your overhead costs overtime by giving you control of your CMS and allowing your staff to make the necessary changes without hiring a massive IT department.
- Freedom from vendor lock-in: You do not have to settle for the status quo when you use a Drupal solution. If you want to modify something or move in a different direction you can do so with ease.
- Guaranteed Security: Drupal is built and maintained by a community of developers that are constantly adding, updating and reviewing code. Yes, Open Source is just that open! This is especially true when it comes to security. Open Source adheres to the principal championed by Linus Torvalds: “Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.” Any flaw within the code will be caught by the community and quickly corrected. Not to mention Drupal is the platform of choice for The White House, DoD, NASA…the list goes on.
- Community Support: Drupal.org has a litany of community and peer-based support options online, from forums and wikis, to webinars and events.
- Interoperability and easy integration: Open Source platforms such as Drupal can integrate with multiple third party APIs and cut down on redundant workflows, making your life easier and free from Custom CMS Fatigue.
- Extensibility: Drupal allows for expert developers like the team we have here at Achieve (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) to easily add on to the base foundation and extend the “out-of-the-box” functionality.
- Granular permission settings: Administrators can easily add new accounts and give these accounts the necessary permissions, based on business roles, to help expedite and automate workflow, thereby increasing employee productivity.
- Robust customization capabilities: The Drupal community continuously contributes new modules, fixes, and patches so that if you want to add additional functionality to your site you can do so easily without having to hire outside help.
- Quality: Open Source code is developed and refined by a community of thousands of developers, not just a handful of developers hidden away from the public eye.
- Faster updates and fixes: Notice a bug in your custom CSM site? Don’t expect a fix anytime soon! If you were using an Open Source platform chances are that the respective community has already identified the bug and developed a fix that can be easily implemented by the Social Media intern you hired for the summer.
Hopefully you get the idea. Aside from the obvious — Custom CMS Fatigue — there are many, many, many, reasons to go with Drupal over a Custom or homegrown CMS platform. But in a attempt for brevity I decided to stop at 10 for now. Drupal has already made an impact in the healthcare industry and is positioned to make an even greater impact as healthcare marketers discover the vast benefits a Drupal CMS can provide to their departments and hospitals.
Achieve Health is a division of Achieve Internet, and we are dedicated to improving the healthcare landscape with innovative, flexible and cost effective web-based applications. Our Development team is well versed in Drupal engineering with over 100,000 Drupal specific development hours. We have helped numerous clients migrate existing code and infrastructure from a custom platform to a Drupal-specific solution. If you are interested in learning more please feel free to get in touch with us and let us know how we can help!